Should I Charge?

As reiki energy is universal, some argue it is universally accessible so one should not charge to attune another to reiki or to give reiki sessions. Water is globally accessible, but I don't think the arguement it exists in nature means the water company that purifies and delivers the water to your house will give it to you for free. As William Lee Rand of the International Center for Reiki Training states it in his Reiki The Healing Touch manual, "There is nothing wrong with the spiritual and material working together. In fact, that's the whole purpose for spiritual beings (you and me) to be in material bodies - to bring the values and energy of the spiritual world into the material world." By being channels for reiki energy, the reiki practitioner brings the spiritual energy into the material world.

Trading for a good or service, wether that's trading with currency or bartering, creates value for what is being received. The good or service may have value in and of itself, but the value we assign to it creates the value in our minds. People can get the same advice from a friend as from a therapist, but tend to listen to a therapist more. Why? Because they have paid the therapist for the advice, so they have placed a tangible value on it. Paying or bartering to receive reiki or to be attuned is our way of showing our appreciation and respect for the gift we are receiving.

There is also the dilemma I have encountered where a friend I have given reiki to for free assumes I am at their beck and call. I am always glad to help others, especially my family and friends. At the same time, my time is valuable. To give someone a reiki session incorporates the time I have spent training, practicing and improving myself. It also incorporates the time I take to prepare the room with candles, soft music, my massage table, and clean sheets. There is also the matter of my expenses. As I take care of others, I must take care of myself. My training, candles, music, massage table and sheets weren't free. To insure I am a healthy, relaxed and open channel for reiki I must take care of my physical health. Because I do not have the time to grow all of my own food and make my own clothing, part of taking care of myself means being a wise business woman. That being said, I do barter with people I know more often than I charge. Charging is easier with strangers because our society is comfortable with a monetary exchange and it keeps the process simple.

I am grateful for the reiki training and reiki healing I have received. I hope others understand the wisdom of bartering or charging for reiki training and reiki healing to give it value in their own minds and express their appreciation. As reikis we strive to keep ourselves in balance. The better business I do, the more I am to expand my services to better help others.

"...it's important to keep the spiritual and material
in balance and working together in harmony." - William Lee Rand

No comments:

Post a Comment